Hi, this blog has been upgraded, but I'm leaving the old pages online until the search engines catch up. If you want to join the discussion, this may be the page you're looking for on the new site.
Ham Broccoli Braid
The remaining bit of leftover ham had been taunting me all week. We had used up portions in all of the normal places, like omletes and fried up in the skillet. But still, there it waited for something - a sign, some movement that I might make. What did it want of me?!
My quest took me to AllRecipes.com to make use of their 'ingredient search' feature. From here, I found a quick and easy (and yummy) way to use up that ham. Ha! That'll show 'em.
Although the name "explains" this dish, it doesn't really do a good job of describing it. (Where's marketing when you need them.) This recipe is simple to do, works up pretty quickly, and looks fabulous, därling! It would be perfect to take to a pot luck luncheon or dinner party. So come on, check it out!
Ham Broccoli Braid
After making this once, you'll start thinking about other foodstuff to make like this. Beef Wellington-esq; Mexican-inspired turnovers; deserts. It's inspirational!
- 2 c. ham, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbl. dried parsley
- 2 Tbl. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (swiss, cheddar, provolone - or a combination of them)
- 2 (8 oz) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
- Sauté onion. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine ham, broccoli, onion, parsley, mustard and cheese. Mix well.
- Unroll crescent dough, and arrange flat on a medium baking sheet. Pinch together perforations to form a single sheet of dough. Using a knife or scissors, cut 1" wide strips along the long sides, leaving a solid strip about 3" wide down the center. (The cut strips will form a sort of fringe on both sides.)
- Spread the filling along the center. Fold the side strips over the filling, alternating strips from each side. Pinch to seal.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
# # #