Hi, this blog has been upgraded, but I'm leaving the old pages online until the search engines catch up. If you want to join the discussion, this may be the page you're looking for on the new site.
The Best Chili. Ever.
There are probably tons of claims to that title. Much like there are tons of kinds of chili; Texas (meat), black bean, red bean, Cincinnati-style, white (chicken), etc. The list goes on and on. I like a variety of chili, but White Chicken Chili is THE BEST, hands down.
It's a dish that nearly everyone in my family makes and enjoys. All of my friends* have tasted it and raved reviews. And to note that it's low in fat, well that just beats all! Try a bowl for yourself and let me know what you think.
* Okay. So it's "friends that have come to dinner when I've prepared white chicken chili." Sheesh - do ya' gotta be so detailed?
White Chicken Chili
from my Aunt Mookie (via So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat cookbook)
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (4-oz) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 (8-oz) cans white shoepeg corn, drained
- 2 (14-oz) cans White or Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- tortilla chips
- Monterey-Jack cheese; shredded
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- sliced avocado (optional)
- In a stockpot, combine 2 1/2 c. water, lemon pepper, and cumin seed. Bring to a boil. Add chicken and simmer 20-30 minutes. Remove chicken, cool, and cut into small pieces. Return chicken to the stock.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray; sauté the garlic and onion over low heat. Add to chicken and stock.
- Add corn, chilies, ground cumin, and lime juice to the chicken. Bring to a boil and add beans. Simmer for 45 minutes.
To serve, place crushed tortilla chips and 1 Tbs. shredded cheese in soup bowls. Ladle chili over and top with salsa, sour cream, and avocado.
# # #